We all know lions, tigers and snakes are dangerous creatures. But have you ever heard of stone fishes and dart frogs? We bet you haven’t yet. But just in case you come across one, here are some of the world’s most dangerous animals you’ve never heard of:
1. Stone Fish
The stone fish is considered as the most venomous fish in the world. Its sting is so painful that its victims demand that their limbs be amputated. A victim who got spiked in Australia described, “Imagine having each knuckle, then wrist, elbow and shoulder being hit in turn with a sledgehammer over the course of about an hour. Then about an hour later, imagine taking a real kicking to both kidneys for about 45 minutes so that you couldn’t stand up or straighten up.”
2. Dart Frog
There is a large variety of dart frogs in the world but the most poisonous is the one shown in this picture, the golden poison arrow frog. It is mostly found in the rainforest of the Pacific Coast of Colombia. The golden poison arrow frog’s skin is coated with alkaloid poison which disables nerves from transmitting impulses leading to heart failure, fibrillation and ultimately, death.
3. Sea Wasp
The sea wasp belongs to the box jellyfish species and is considered as the most lethal jellyfish in the world. Its tentacles are covered with millions of cnidocytes or explosive cells that release microscopic darts injecting its deadly venom. The sea wasp’s stings are excruciatingly painful and can cause death if not treated within minutes.
4. King Cobra
The king cobra is a significant animal in India. It also happens to be the most venomous snake in the world. Although 50% of its bites are dry, its venom can kill when delivered. Its poison attacks the central nervous system making the victim suffer pain, blurred vision, vertigo and paralysis before the victim slips into a coma. If not treated with an anti-venom, the victim will eventually die.
5. Marbled Cone Snail
Just when you thought that snails are harmless creatures, this marbled cone snail will prove you wrong. It belongs to the group of predatory sea snails and has a hollowed, barbed tooth that delivers its venom. Symptoms of its sting include intense pain, numbness and vomiting. Severe cases involve muscle paralysis, changes in vision and respiratory failure which leads to death.
6. Blue-Ringed Octopus
This variety of octopus has a venom identical to pufferfishes and dart frogs. Its poison, tetrodotoxin, is 1,200 times more toxic than cyanide and causes motor paralysis and respiratory arrest within minutes. The lack of oxygen then leads to cardiac arrest and death. The blue-ringed octopus’ bite is often painless which is why victims do not realize they have already been poisoned.
Do not let its appearance fool you! A pufferfish may look cute but it is considered as the world’s second most poisonous vertebrae next to the dart frog. They are considered as a delicacy in Japan but that doesn’t mean they aren’t dangerous. When not prepared properly, its lethal poison can cause numbness, dizziness, vomiting, paralysis and death.
8. Brazilian Wandering Spider
The wandering spider got its name because of its nature. It is frequently found wandering into densely populated areas, seeking cover from the daylight in boots, cars, clothes and banana crates. This means, it is more dangerous because it can hunt you right from where you live! It is considered as the most venomous spider in the world. Its victim is bound to suffer from loss of muscle control, breathing problems, paralysis, asphyxiation, unbearable amount of pain and death.
9. Giant Silkworm Moth
The giant silkworm moth hails from South America. It is more famous in its caterpillar form than its moth form. While still a caterpillar, it uses its tiny hairs to deliver its deadly venom which leads to fever, vomiting, malaise, internal bleeding and eventually, death. Fortunately, in order to get a full dose of its venom, a person has to be stung 15 to 20 times.
10. Slow Loris
The slow loris may look like a good household pet. It is cute and cuddly but it is also deadly! Its paws actually contains poisonous toxins that can cause irritation and if there is too much exposure, death. Sadly, despite the fact that this creature is deadly, it is being illegally traded as pets.